Recruiting for the Digital Revolution, one hater at a time.

Thursday, July 26, 2007



And another perspective on product placement. I worship David Lynch. But I think there's room for some variations on the approach here. Because while product placement can do things like seriously undermine the integrity of a film, it may also be a necessary part of low-budget filmmaking in an online world. And hey, I seem to spend too much time clearing products that I want to appear in my film anyway, or removing them altogether. Why not just find a product with values you appreciate, and which company equally appreciates the artistic intentions of your movie. The key may just be the freedom of the artist to choose which products to partner with. If I have a breakfast scene and they're eating cereal, rather than getting my art director to make a fake cereal box, why not find a natural whole-foods company that likes the idea behind my film and is willing to kick in a thousand bucks to have my healthy, gorgeous actors eating it? Food for thought. At least until we're all independently wealthy enough to finance our own films without anybody else's money.

No comments: